A miscellaneous compilation of articles and off-the-cuff ideas, mostly relating to the English Language and its words, and how well they are used on some occasions, and how badly on others. But other topics and whimsies are likely to keep cropping up too. This blog is closely related to the website mentioned below.

Monday 22 July 2013

Sweep away the Cracks

I have a habit - a sort of irresistable temptation - of making a note of any strange uses of the English language that I encounter anywhere, in any medium.  And as I was sorting through piles of old papers earlier today, I spotted a pencil note, dated 18th June 2001 and scribbled on the corner of an old letter, that quoted a BBC report on a golfer in some tournament or other telling listeners that fortunately "any cracks in his confidence had been swept away . . . ".  I like the idea of sweeping cracks away, so let's add it to our collection of enjoyable mixed metaphors.

Sweep away the Cracks

No comments: