A miscellaneous compilation of articles and off-the-cuff ideas, mostly relating to the English Language and its words, and how well they are used on some occasions, and how badly on others. But other topics and whimsies are likely to keep cropping up too. This blog is closely related to the website mentioned below.

Monday 13 May 2013

Deflating the Sharp Edge of Pedantic Intolerance

I can't remember when I last moaned about confusing 'less' with 'fewer', but I have recently spotted a remark attributed to 'Ian Martin in The Guardian': "The scarier the world becomes, the more important it is to focus on the correct use of 'less' and 'fewer'.*"

I take this to be a dig at pedants rather than the earnest cry of one.  OK by me either way. 

I've also winced at the mauling of metaphors:  But I find in an article by Alastair Campbell published in Radio Times a few years ago a reference to "an inability to deal with the pressures that life was then throwing at me".  I don't believe in chucking pressures at people, any more than skating too close to the wind.

* By the way, an advert in Radio Times not long ago promoted a robot vacuum cleaner with the slogan "Less Chores, More Life".   "Less trouble" would be OK:  less is for quantity, fewer for number.  You probably wouldn't say "Fewer trouble":  and you shouldn't say "Less chores".

Deflating the Sharp Edge of Pedantic Intolerance

No comments: